Welcome to the Thai Riviera on the Gulf of Siam
Detailed Maps on Cha-am Beach in Phetchburi
During the reign of King Phra Chomklao (Rama IV), he ordered to build Phra Nakhon Khiri Palace on the top of Wang Hill overlooking the town of Petchaburi. This was the first Royal palace ever built in a province outside the capital and it was finished in 1859. During his reign and the reign of his successor King Rama V, "making holiday" became fashionable among the high-class Siamese who received this idea from the first European visitors.
It became even more popular to "go on vacation" when the Southern Railway started its service in the first years of the 20th century and opened the way to the coast of the Gulf of Siam. Taking vacations began to spread to ordinary people, when Hua Hin had become already increasingly crowded and all sea-side land had been taken by the royalty and dignitary.
A group of aristocrats led by His Royal Highness Prince Narathip Praphanphong started to clear the sea-front mangrove forests south of Petchaburi to build a new sea-side village in 1921. They built a route from the railway station to this beach (Narathip Road) and another road along the beach to the north and south. A cart-path (Chaolai Road) was cut behind the sea-front plots of land and the new village was called Sahakham Cha-am. Cha-am Beach quickly became popular in addition to Hua Hin Beach in Prachuap Khiri Khan province.
Cha-am is a clean white beach of over 7 kilometres length and the most popular beach in Phetchburi province with tourist activities abound. The middle area provides a variety of shops and recreations like water scooter and horse riding, while the more tranquil areas to the north and south of the main beach provide a mor relaxed atmosphere with sunbath, plunging in the cool sea or observing the natural environment and the localsí coastal way of life.